Notifications and approvals required of CRICOS registered providers
- Important update: See our Coronavirus (COVID-19) – latest regulatory advice page for relevant updates
The National Code of Practice for Providers of Education and Training to Overseas Students 2018 (National Code) requires providers to notify TEQSA of certain events, such as a change of details on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).
Some notifications have timeframes specified in the National Code and the ESOS Act:
- Standard 11.3 requires a registered provider to notify its ESOS agency at least 30 days prior to any proposed changes to a registration for a course are to take effect. This includes proposed changes to:
- course duration, including holiday breaks
- modes of study, including on-line, distance or work-based training
- number of overseas students enrolled at the provider, within the limit or maximum number approved by the ESOS agency for the location and,
- arrangements with other education providers, including partners, in delivering a course or courses to overseas students
- Section 17A of the ESOS Act requires a provider to notify TEQSA of the following:
- any occurrence of an event that would significantly affect the provider’s ability to comply with the Act (subsection 17A(1) within 10 business days after the event occurs (subsection 17A(2)
- any prospective changes to the ownership of the registered provider as soon as practicable before the changes takes effect (subsection 17A(3)(a)any prospective or actual change in relation to a related person of the provider (subsection 17A(3)(b)
- if the change cannot be determined until it takes effect, within 10 business days of the change taking effect ((subsection 17A(3)(b)(i) or
- as soon as practicable before the change takes effect ((subsection 17A(3)(b)(ii)
Notifications must be submitted in the approved form via the Provider portal and include all information requested.
NOTE: There are no fees associated with these changes.
Approvals required from TEQSA
CRICOS registered providers must seek approval for the following proposed changes (where TEQSA is the designated authority):
- changes to arrangements with other providers
- changes to the maximum number of students that can be enrolled
- changes to the duration of a CRICOS registered course.
Please see Standard 11 of the National Code 2018.