The Higher Education Standards Framework (Threshold Standards) 2015 (HES Framework) has applied since 1 January 2017.
From a regulatory perspective, all applications made:
- before 1 January 2017 will be assessed against the HES Framework 2011
- on or after 1 January 2017 will be assessed against the HES Framework 2015.
View the Material Change Notification Policy
Please direct any feedback to standards [at] teqsa.gov.au.
The resources published on this page are not instructional or ‘how to’ documents for compliance with the new HES Framework.
TEQSA publishes guidance notes, to provide greater clarity for providers in the interpretation and application of selected standards. Guidance notes draw on our regulatory experience and knowledge of experts in the higher education sector.
Guidance Notes usually focus on a single topic (such as academic leadership, for example). The Guidance Note typically outlines:
- the nature of the topic
- the relevant standards in the Higher Education Standards Framework (HESF) that relate to the topic
- the underlying intent of those standards
- the risks to the quality of education if the topic is not addressed sufficiently by a provider
- the evidence that TEQSA is likely to look for to be satisfied that the requirements of the HESF are being met.
Comments and feedback on guidance notes can be emailed to standards [at] teqsa.gov.au.
- Addressing contract cheating to safeguard academic integrity
- Improving retention and completion of students in Australian higher education
- Making higher education admissions transparent for prospective students
- Preventing and responding to sexual assault and sexual harassment in the Australian higher education sector
This guidance sets out the principles and considerations that TEQSA will have regard to when assessing fitness and propriety for the purposes of the TEQSA Act.
This document provides guidance to providers on selecting a suitable independent expert to conduct a review or seek expert advice as part of their internal quality assurance processes.