The Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000 (ESOS Act) forms the legal framework for the quality assurance of education and training institutions offering courses to international students (students studying in Australia on student visas).
The ESOS legislative framework consists of the:
- ESOS Act
- Education Services for Overseas Students Regulations
- Education Services for Overseas Students (Registration Charges) Act
- National Code of Practice for Providers of Education and Training to Overseas Students
- National Standards for Foundation Programs
- ELICOS National Standards.
The Department of Education and Training administers the ESOS Act and the related legislative instruments which govern:
- the registration process and obligations of registered international education providers
- the Tuition Protection Service
- enforcement and compliance arrangements.