Study Group Australia Pty Limited: Registration 23 October 2019
Registration as a higher education provider
Report on Registration of Study Group Australia Pty Ltd
On 23 October 2019, TEQSA imposed, under section 32 of the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency Act 2011 (TEQSA Act), three conditions on the registration of Study Group Australia Pty Ltd (SGA).
Condition 1: Corporate and Academic Governance
From the date on which SGA is notified of the imposition of this condition:
the minutes of the Board of Directors and the Academic Board must record not only the decisions taken, but also the basis on which the decision was made (key documents considered and key points that were taken into consideration by the governing body in making its decision), as well as actions arising.
Condition 2: Academic Integrity
With its next application for renewal of registration, SGA must provide copies of the following, and the Minutes must demonstrate the Academic Board's deliberations on them and any necessary actions arising:
- a report which is presented to each meeting of the Academic Board with details of each recorded breach of academic integrity in the year of the report at all locations, including the date of the breach, the finding and sanction, the date of the decision by SGA, the person responsible for the decision, and any proposed areas of improvement;
- a report presented periodically to the Academic Board with an analysis of trends in breaches of academic integrity and a description of any actions proposed to address the trends, and including progress in effectively implementing the amended policies and procedures and staff training arising from Martin College Higher Education Academic Integrity Rectification Plan.
Condition 3: Independent review of the effectiveness of corporate and academic governance
- SGA must provide, with its next renewal of registration application:
- a copy of an independent review of the effectiveness of SGA's corporate and academic governance;
- a copy of SGA's response to the review, approved by its Board.
- Prior to engaging the reviewer to perform the review in condition 3A, SGA must obtain TEQSA's approval for the identity of the reviewer and the terms of reference for the review. TEQSA's approval for these matters will not be unreasonably withheld.
Main reasons for the decision
In the course of conducting a compliance assessment, TEQSA found that Study Group Australia Pty Ltd failed to meet the following provisions of the Higher Education Standards Framework (Threshold Standards) 2015 (the Threshold Standards):
- Standards 6.2.1f and 6.3.1a, in relation to SGA's governance;
- Standards 5.2.1, 5.2.2 and 5.2.3, and Standards 6.2.1j and 6.3.2d in relation to SGA's arrangements to ensure academic integrity.
While SGA has put in place initiatives to address the concerns identified during the compliance assessment, the conditions ensure that TEQSA has the capacity to exercise close oversight of SGA's response to these concerns.