Batchelor Institute of Indigenous Tertiary Education: Re-registration 29 August 2013 (revised)
Renewal of registration
Report on renewal of registration of Batchelor Institute of Indigenous Tertiary Education
On 29 August 2013, TEQSA determined, under subsection 36(1) of the TEQSA Act, that registration of Batchelor Institute of Indigenous Tertiary Education as a higher education provider be renewed for a period of three years to 29 August 2016 in the provider category of 'Higher Education Provider'.
On 29 August 2013, TEQSA imposed, under subsection 32(1) of the TEQSA Act, five conditions on the registration of Batchelor Institute of Indigenous Tertiary Education as a higher education provider.
TEQSA made subsequent decisions on 27 February 2014 and 12 March 2015 to revoke conditions two, three, four and five.
The main reasons for these decisions are outlined in the Addendum of this report.
Conditions currently imposed:
Under subsection 32(1) of the TEQSA Act, one condition is currently imposed on the registration of Batchelor Institute of Indigenous Tertiary Education as a higher education provider:
Condition 1: Batchelor Institute's self-accrediting authority is limited to its current courses at Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) levels 8, 9 and 10, as currently focused on Indigenous knowledges.
Main Reasons for Decision
TEQSA considers that the decision to register Batchelor Institute for a period of three years and to apply conditions to the renewal of registration as a higher education provider is consistent with the basic principles for regulation in Part 2 of the TEQSA Act for the following reasons:
- Batchelor Institute is at risk of not complying with a number of the Threshold Standards. In particular, a number of aspects of Batchelor Institute's higher education operations give rise to concerns of future non-compliance with Sections 3 and 4 of the Provider Registration Standards. Of most immediate concern is the performance of Batchelor Institute's current Higher Degree by Research courses.
- Batchelor Institute has been through a period of review and significant reorganisation. It has demonstrated that it is putting in place arrangements to support its corporate and academic governance and a framework to protect academic integrity and quality, including initiatives to improve the performance of its Higher Degree by Research courses.
- The decision will allow Batchelor Institute a reasonable period of time to implement both its new governance arrangements and the measures to improve academic quality and performance. It will give Batchelor Institute an opportunity to demonstrate the effectiveness of these arrangements and measures.
- The decision ensures that TEQSA will be able to review their effectiveness and ensure that Batchelor Institute has in place the highly effective academic governance processes needed to self-accredit its courses.
Addendum to Public Report on 27 February 2014: Conditions Revoked
On 27 February 2014, TEQSA made a decision to revoke conditions two, three and four, followed by a decision to revoke condition five on 12 March 2015. The decisions to revoke the conditions were made on the basis that TEQSA was satisfied the conditions had been met.
The conditions previously imposed on 29 August 2013 were that:
Condition 2: By no later than 31 March 2014, Batchelor Institute must provide TEQSA with a report on the major review of the Master of Indigenous Knowledges (by Research) and an implementation plan for the outcomes of the review.
Condition 3: Batchelor Institute must not accept any new enrolments in the Master of Indigenous Knowledges (by Research) until two months after the date TEQSA receives the report and the implementation plan referred to above.
Condition 4: By no later than 31 December 2013, Batchelor Institute must provide TEQSA with up-to-date individual learning plans for each current Higher Degree by Research student. These plans are to include:
- an evaluation of the student's progress to date
- timelines and mapping of a path to completion of or exit from the relevant course
- details of academic and other support to be provided to the student.
Condition 5: By no later than 30 September 2014, Batchelor Institute must complete a review of its corporate and academic governance documents, including by-laws, charters, policies, procedures, terms of reference and delegations, and report to TEQSA on the outcome of the review.