North Metropolitan TAFE: Re-registration 14 March 2018
Renewal of registration
Report on renewal of registration of North Metropolitan TAFE
On 14 March 2018 TEQSA:
- renewed, under section 36 of the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency Act 2011 (TEQSA Act), the registration of North Metropolitan TAFE, for a period of seven years until 14 March 2025, in the category of Higher Education Provider.
- imposed, under section 32 of the TEQSA Act, two conditions on the registration of North Metropolitan TAFE.
Condition 1: Scholarship
- By 30 July 2018 North Metropolitan TAFE must provide TEQSA with a Scholarship development plan approved by the Governing Council including targets for scholarly output for categories recognised in TEQSA's Guidance Note on scholarship, to ensure academic staff are active in scholarship that informs their teaching.
- By 30 July 2018 and by 30 June of each subsequent year until further notice, North Metropolitan TAFE must provide TEQSA with a copy of an annual scholarship report that has been considered by the Governing Council.
Condition 2: Quality assurance - monitoring and improvement
By 30 July 2018 and by 30 June of each subsequent year, until further notice North Metropolitan TAFE must provide TEQSA with a copy of:
- a comprehensive diagnostic analysis of the probable causes for observed rates and trends for student attrition, progression, minimum time completion rates and failure rates, for each accredited higher education course it offers, subject to the size of the student cohorts being large enough to produce meaningful performance indicator outcomes. The analysis must include accurate data on student attrition, completion, progression, grade distribution and failure rates and include analysis by:
- entry path (comparing students admitted under each entry pathway);
- credit awarded
- referral to and uptake of student support including participation in formal study support programs and
- external referencing of student achievement in similar courses at other higher education providers.
- Evidence of the Academic Board's report to the Governing Council on the quality of teaching and learning with any recommendations for improvement, and minutes of the governing body's response to the report.
Main reasons for the decision
TEQSA made the decision to renew the provider's registration on the basis that it was satisfied that North Metropolitan TAFE continues to meet the Higher Education Standards Framework (Threshold Standards) 2015.
TEQSA made the decision to impose two conditions on the basis of a risk of future non-compliance that North Metropolitan TAFE may not continue to meet, the following provisions of the Higher Education Standards Framework (Threshold Standards) 2015:
- Category Criterion B1.1.4 of Part B, in relation to further development and implementation of North Metropolitan TAFE's scholarship plan to ensure academic staff are active in scholarship that informs their teaching
- Section 5.3 of Part A, in relation to further development and implementation of North Metropolitan TAFE's quality assurance mechanisms relating to monitoring of student performance data and external referencing activities
TEQSA considers that following the re-structure of the West Australian TAFEs in 2016, North Metropolitan TAFE is making good progress in developing and implementing its governance processes and higher education quality assurance framework.
TEQSA's assessment considered North Metropolitan TAFE's arrangements for delivery at all Australian sites.