Elite Education Institute Pty. Ltd.: Impose condition on registration 28 August 2019
Report on imposition of one condition on the CRICOS registration of Elite Education Institute Pty Ltd
On 28 August 2019, TEQSA:
- imposed, under paragraph 83(3)(a) of the Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000 (ESOS Act), one condition on the registration of Elite Education Institute Pty Ltd.
Condition 1: Suspension of student enrolments
From the date on which it is notified of this decision until 14 February 2020, Elite must not enrol or commence any new students in any of its higher education courses.
Main reasons for the decision
TEQSA previously imposed a similar condition suspending the enrolment or commencement of new students until 31 August 2019. TEQSA imposed this further condition on 28 August 2019 to:
- give TEQSA an opportunity to finalise its assessment of Elite's applications for renewal of registration under the ESOS Act and the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency Act 2011, and
- ensure the protection of current and prospective students of Elite until TEQSA makes a decision on Elite's applications.
The imposition of the condition is consistent with paragraphs 83(1C)(b) and (c) of the ESOS Act, as TEQSA believes on reasonable grounds that Elite:
- does not have the clearly demonstrated capacity to provide education of a satisfactory standard; or
- has not been providing, or has not provided, education of a satisfactory standard.
Specifically, TEQSA holds substantial concerns that Elite Education Institute Pty Ltd:
- is not delivering its courses so as to appropriately engage students in the course content in a manner consistent with the form of the course registered under the ESOS Act, and
- has not ensured, and will not ensure, that assessment in its higher education courses has the necessary quality and integrity;
- has contravened section 8 of the ESOS Act by providing a course to overseas students when not registered to provide that course.
Application to withdraw conditions
In accordance with section 94 of the ESOS Act, TEQSA may remove the condition on registration.
Right of review
The decision to impose a condition on CRICOS registration is a reviewable decision under Part 7A of the ESOS Act. Elite Education Institute Pty Ltd may apply to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT) for an external review of the decision. Information about making applications to the AAT, including the time limits, contact details and fees payable, is available at http://www.aat.gov.au/applying-for-a-review.