Master of Information Systems: Accreditation 21 May 2019
Report on accreditation of three higher education courses of study offered by Holmes Institute Pty Ltd
On 21 May 2019, a delegate of TEQSA:
- accredited, under section 49 of the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency Act 2011 (TEQSA Act), the following courses offered by Holmes Institute Pty Ltd, for a period of four years until 21 May 2023:
- Master of Information Systems
- Graduate Diploma of Information Systems
- Graduate Certificate in Information Systems
- imposed under section 53 of the TEQSA Act, five conditions on the accreditation of the courses.
Condition 1: Review of Course Design and Assessment
1.1 Holmes will engage at its own expense, a suitably qualified independent expert/s (with the agreement of TEQSA as to the identity and terms of reference of the expert/s, in which agreement is not to be unreasonably withheld) to review and produce recommendations to Holmes (Independent Course Review) in relation to the following matters:
- Revise the assessment tasks and learning outcomes in all units to ensure that:
- the specified learning outcomes are capable of being achieved by each student within the scope of the unit,
- the mapping of course level learning outcomes demonstrates alignment of the outcomes with assessments,
- the methods of assessment are consistent with the learning outcomes being assessed, and are able to meaningfully assess student performance against all the unit learning outcomes, including the group assessment items.
1.2 The independent expert/s will:
- be suitably qualified to undertake the Independent Course Review
- not be a past or present member of Holmes' staff
- not have been engaged as a consultant to Holmes, and
- not have any conflict of interest.
1.3 The outcomes of the Independent Course Review are to be reported to Holmes' Academic Board, Board of Directors and TEQSA no later than 21 November 2019.
1.4 Holmes is to prepare an implementation plan for each of the recommendations in the expert reports, approved by the Academic Board and the Board of Directors, to be provided to TEQSA no later than 20 December 2019.
1.5 Holmes is to report to TEQSA on the implementation of the outcomes of the Independent Course Review by:
- 15 January 2020
- Such further dates as TEQSA may require after the Independent Course Review is undertaken.
Condition 2: Staffing
2.1. Prior to the commencement of delivery of the courses, Holmes is to provide TEQSA with copies of staff curriculum vitae demonstrating that it has appointed:
- a suitable senior academic leader with requisite disciplinary qualifications and experience
- appropriately qualified and experienced academic teaching staff for the delivery of the Information Systems courses at all delivery sites that includes details of their disciplinary specialism.
The response to this condition should also indicate full time and part time status and teaching location of each staff member.
Condition 3: Offshore delivery
3.1 Holmes must notify TEQSA of its intention to deliver the course/s offshore at least three (3) months prior to delivery.
Condition 4: Information to students
Holmes must provide to TEQSA evidence of accurate and relevant marketing material that clearly sets out the units across all courses, including information about whether or not the courses are accredited by appropriate professional bodies.
Holmes must not deliver the courses of study unless TEQSA confirms, in writing, that Conditions 1, 2 and 4 are all met.
Main reasons for the decision
TEQSA made the decision in light of risks that the course submitted by Holmes Institute College Pty Limited may not meet, or continue to meet, the following provisions of the Higher Education Standards Framework (Threshold Standards) 2015:
- Section 1.4 of Part A, in relation to learning outcomes and assessment
- Section 3.1 of Part A, in relation to course design
- Section 3.2 of Part A, in relation to staffing, and
- Section 7.1 of Part A, in relation to representation.
TEQSA's assessment considered Holmes Institute Pty Limited's arrangements for all deliver sites.