Accreditation 19 October 2022
Course: Bachelor of Social Work
Report on accreditation of one higher education course of study offered by Sydney Metropolitan Institute of Technology Pty Ltd
On 19 October 2022, a delegate of TEQSA:
- accredited, under section 49 of the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency Act 2011 (TEQSA Act), the following course offered by Sydney Metropolitan Institute of Technology Pty Ltd, for a period of seven years until 19 October 2029:
- Bachelor of Social Work
- imposed, under section 53 of the TEQSA Act, two conditions on the accreditation of the Bachelor of Social Work.
Condition 1: Learning resources
- No later than 4 weeks prior to the commencement of each teaching period during course accreditation, Sydney Metropolitan Institute of Technology Pty Ltd must provide to TEQSA evidence of student access to learning resources in the human welfare discipline areas, including:
- Library collections and specialised databases.
- Learning management system course and unit information.
- Sydney Metropolitan Institute of Technology Pty Ltd must not commence initial delivery of the course until it receives notification from TEQSA that TEQSA is satisfied that sufficient teaching and learning resources are available when needed by students.
Condition 2: Tuition safeguards for students
- Prior to enrolling students, Sydney Metropolitan Institute of Technology Pty Ltd must provide to TEQSA at least one course agreement with a registered higher education provider for a replacement course equivalent to the Bachelor of Social Work. The course agreement must include credit arrangements for all completed units of study.
- Sydney Metropolitan Institute of Technology Pty Ltd must not commence enrolling students until it receives notification from TEQSA that TEQSA is satisfied that there are course and tuition safeguards for Bachelor of Social Work students.
Main reasons for the decision
TEQSA made these decisions in light of risks that the course submitted by Sydney Metropolitan Institute of Technology Pty Ltd may not meet, or continue to meet, the following provisions of the Higher Education Standards Framework (Threshold Standards) 2021:
- Standard 5.1.3 of Part A, in relation to whether the resources required to deliver the course will be available when needed during the initial period of accreditation
- Standard 3.3.1 of Part A, in relation to student access to the learning resources, including library collections and databases, relevant to the learning outcomes
- Standard 6.2.1 in relation to adequately resourced tuition safeguards to mitigate disadvantage to students should the provider be unable to deliver the course of study throughout the period of accreditation.
Application to withdraw conditions
In accordance with section 53 of the TEQSA Act, TEQSA may vary or revoke a condition imposed on the accreditation of a higher education course of study, either on its own initiative, or upon application by the provider for variation or revocation.