Accreditation 15 August 2022
Report on accreditation of one higher education course of study offered by Southern Cross Education Institute (Higher Education) Pty Ltd
On 15 August 2022, a delegate of TEQSA:
- accredited, under section 49 of the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency Act 2011 (TEQSA Act), the following course offered by Southern Cross Education Institute (Higher Education) Pty Ltd, for a period of seven years until 15 August 2029:
- Master of Social Work (Qualifying).
- imposed, under section 53 of the TEQSA Act, two conditions on the accreditation of the Master of Social Work (Qualifying).
Condition 1: Course title and representation
Southern Cross Education Institute (Higher Education) Pty Ltd is not to advertise or enrol students into the Master of Social Work (Qualifying) until it provides evidence to TEQSA that either:
- the Australian Association of Social Workers (AASW) approves the course as a provisionally accredited qualification, or
- the course title, marketing material and course information are updated to remove all references to the course holding status as a 'qualifying' degree.
Condition 2: Staffing
Southern Cross Education Institute (Higher Education) Pty Ltd (SCEI HE) is not to commence delivery of the Master of Social Work (Qualifying) until such time as TEQSA notifies SCEI HE that TEQSA is satisfied SCEI HE has appointed suitably qualified academic staff to teach and provide academic leadership in the course.
For this to be assessed by TEQSA, SCEI HE must provide TEQSA the CVs of all teaching and academic leadership staff appointed for the course, including details of SCEI HE's assessment of professional equivalency for those who do not meet the requirements of Standard 3.2.3, prior to the commencement of delivery to the first cohort of students.
Main reasons for the decision
TEQSA made these decisions in light of risks that the course submitted by Southern Cross Education Institute (Higher Education) Pty Ltd may not continue to meet the following provisions of the Higher Education Standards Framework (Threshold Standards) 2021:
- Standards 7.1.1 and 7.1.5 because representations arising from the course title may be misleading and inaccurate.
- Standards 3.2.1, 3.2.2 and 3.2.3 related to staffing because it is unclear if the staffing profile will be sufficient to meet the needs of students or that staff with responsibilities for academic oversight and teaching have the necessary qualification, skills and experience.
Application to withdraw conditions
In accordance with section 53 of the TEQSA Act, TEQSA may vary or revoke a condition imposed on the accreditation of a higher education course of study, either on its own initiative, or upon application by the provider for variation or revocation.