This page provides information of interest to higher education providers and is updated regularly. If you would like a specific topic covered, please email your suggestion to email@example.com.
Note: The resources from the October 2015 TEQSA roundtable discussions are available on the events page.
Provider resources by topic
Most of the guidance notes and support material on this page were developed for consideration with the Higher Education Standards Framework (Threshold Standards) 2011. Support material has been developed for consideration with the Higher Education Standards Framework (Threshold Standards) 2015.
TEQSA is publishing a series of 'guidance notes', intended to provide greater clarity for providers in the interpretation and application of selected standards. They draw on TEQSA’s regulatory experience to date and the knowledge of experts in the higher education sector. It is important to note that these documents are not instructional or ‘how to’ documents. TEQSA is currently seeking feedback on its new guidance notes. More information is on the consultations page of this website.
Guidance notes do not introduce any new requirements of providers. In developing guidance notes, TEQSA consults with critical friends from the sector with expertise in the particular topic. TEQSA is also keen to draw on broader views from the sector on each guidance note and to facilitate this, there is a three-month period for comment on each guidance note (from when they are published on the consultations page).
- Guidance note: Equivalence of professional experience to academic qualifications [PDF 70KB, 3 pages] [DOCX 108KB, 3 pages]
- Guidance note: Third Party Arrangements [PDF 85KB, 5 pages] [DOCX 110KB, 5 pages]
- Guidance note: Benchmarking [PDF 200KB, 5 pages] [DOCX 140KB, 5 pages]
- Guidance note: Course approval, design and delivery [PDF 181KB, 7 pages] [DOCX 117KB, 7 pages]
- Guidance note: Information Resources [PDF 134KB, 3 pages] [DOCX 105KB, 3 pages]
- Guidance note: Workforce planning [PDF, 156KB, 3 pages] [DOCX, 112KB, 3 pages]
- Guidance note: Nested courses [PDF, 188KB, 4 pages] [DOCX, 124KB, 4 pages]
- Guidance note: Academic quality assurance [PDF, 112KB, 8 pages] [DOCX, 118KB, 8 pages]
- Guidance note: Academic leadership [PDF, 101KB, 6 pages] [DOCX, 110KB, 6 pages]
- Guidance note: Scholarship [PDF, 95KB, 6 pages] [DOCX, 113KB, 6 pages]
- Guidance note: Academic Governance [PDF, 126KB, 9 pages] [DOCX, 119KB, 9 pages]
- Guidance note: Corporate Governance [PDF, 117KB, 8 pages] [DOCX, 114KB, 8 pages]
Accreditation and Registration
- TEQSA and the Australian Qualifications Framework [PDF 138KB, 9 pages] [DOCX 144KB, 9 pages]
- Shortening or cancelling a period of accreditation [PDF 129KB, 2 pages] [DOCX 2.3MB, 2 pages]
- Shortening a period of registration or cancelling registration [PDF 224KB, 2 pages]
- TEQSA’s approach to regulating the offshore provision of regulated higher education awards [PDF 180KB, 6 pages] [DOCX 1.4MB, 6 pages]
- TEQSA’s approach to the assessment of joint and dual awards [PDF 170KB, 5 pages] [DOCX 1.4MB, 5 pages]
- TEQSA's approach to financial assessment [PDF 1MB, 3 pages]
- How TEQSA rates risk indicators [PDF 146KB, 3 pages]
- Risk ratings: Examples of relevant context and provider controls that TEQSA considers [PDF 150KB, 4 pages]
- Presentation of a TEQSA risk assessment (and example risk assessment) [PDF 329KB, 14 pages]
- TEQSA’s Approach to Risk Assessments of Stand-Alone ELICOS and Foundation Program Providers [PDF 65KB, 4 pages] [DOCX 2 MB, 4 pages]
Good practice resources for providers
TEQSA has identified a number of good practice resources which may help providers in developing or improving their quality assurance systems and processes.
- TEQSA good practice note: Preventing fraudulent documentation [PDF 60KB, 2 pages]
- Selected resources to guide good practice [PDF 125KB, 4 pages]
- Selected resources to guide good practice [DOCX 2MB, 4 pages]
- The Good Practice Database was developed by the former Australian Universities Quality Agency. The database has not been reviewed since May 2011, but contains information which may be useful.
TEQSA's public disclosure policy
This document outlines TEQSA's approach to public statements about regulatory actions and issues.
- About TEQSA
- Regulatory Approach
- For Providers
- For Students
- National Register
- News & Publications