Student Expert Advisory Group Terms of Reference
This document contains the terms of reference for the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency’s (TEQSA’s) Student Expert Advisory Group.
The Student Expert Advisory Group consists of:
- a Chair (TEQSA Chief Executive Officer)
- members, with representatives from:
- Australian Council of Private Education and Training (ACPET) student representative
- Australian Queer Students’ Network (AQSN)
- Council of Australian Postgraduate Associations (CAPA)
- Council of International Students (CISA)
- Council of Private Higher Education (COPHE) student representative
- National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Postgraduate Association (NATSIPA)
- National Union of Students (NUS)
- TAFE Directors Australia (TDA) student representative
- Union of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Students (UATSIS)
- Professor Nick Saunders, Chief Commissioner
- Emeritus Professor Cliff Walsh, Commissioner
- Dr Lin Martin, Commissioner
The function of the Student Expert Advisory Group is to provide advice to the Commission on the approaches and strategies relating to the regulation and quality assurance of higher education providers, with particular reference to the engagement of students.
In particular, the Student Expert Advisory Group is invited to:
- Advise the TEQSA Commission on matters regarding student engagement and the quality of Australian higher education.
- Be a source of expert advice for the Commission on all matters relating to student engagement.
- Provide input into the development of approaches to engage providers around issues regarding student engagement in quality assurance.
- Discuss matters relating to thematic reviews undertaken by TEQSA and other issues impacting students in the higher education sector.
- Provide input into the regulation of providers under the Higher Education Standards Framework (Threshold Standards) 2015, and the development of processes for the future engagement of students.
- Advise the Commission on future sector activities to promote the awareness of student engagement in higher education.
The Student Expert Advisory Group members may consult interested parties when performing their functions, as required.
The Student Expert Advisory Group was established in December 2017, and membership will be refreshed on an annual basis. Noting the election cycles differ for the various student bodies involved, both the incoming and outgoing representative will be invited to participate in the transition period.
The Student Expert Advisory Group will meet at least three times per year. This may be face-to-face or via teleconference. It is expected that there will be minimal out-of-session communications.
The meetings are to be convened by the Chair, and may be attended by TEQSA staff.
TEQSA will provide the secretariat services to support this group.
Membership is on a voluntary basis. Members will be registered as TEQSA External Experts and remunerated accordingly. TEQSA will provide interstate airfares and other support as agreed to allow members to attend face-to-face meetings.