TEQSA approves application for an Australian University College
On 28 August 2019, TEQSA approved the change of category application lodged by Avondale College Limited (Avondale), from a higher education provider to an Australian University College.
Avondale, which offers courses in New South Wales and Victoria, is also the first higher education provider to have qualified for a change of category since TEQSA’s establishment.
“TEQSA congratulates Avondale College on achieving the requirements of the Higher Education Standards Framework for the Australian University College category. The addition of Avondale College to this category increases quality and choice for students, and further bolsters Australia’s world-class tertiary education sector,” said Chief Executive Officer Anthony McClaran.
TEQSA is satisfied that Avondale met all the criteria of the Higher Education Standards Framework (Threshold Standards) 2015 specified for the ‘Australian University College’ category, including the following:
- realistic and achievable plans to meet all the criteria for an “Australian University ” Category within five years of its approval to use the title “Australian University College”
- delivers undergraduate and postgraduate courses of study that meet the Higher Education Standards Framework across a range of broad fields of study (including Masters Degrees (Coursework) in at least three broad fields of study and Masters Degrees (Research) and Doctoral Degrees (Research) in at least one of the broad fields of study it offers)
- undertakes research that leads to the creation of new knowledge and original creative endeavour at least in those broad fields of study in which Masters Degrees (Research) and Doctoral Degrees (Research) are offered
- demonstrates sustained scholarship that informs teaching and learning in all fields in which courses of study are offered
- demonstrates commitment to the systematic advancement and dissemination of knowledge
- demonstrates engagement with its local and regional communities and a commitment to social responsibility
- has systematic, well developed internal processes for quality assurance and the maintenance of academic standards and academic integrity.
TEQSA media: comms [at] teqsa.gov.au, tel 0437 143 012