Candidate information pack - Senior Data Analyst
- Candidate information pack: Senior Data Analyst (MS Word, 1067 KB)
- Candidate information pack: Senior Data Analyst (PDF, 300 KB)
Position Number: 18970
Position Title / Classification: Senior Data Analyst (APS6)
Group/Team: Corporate Services / Information and Data Management
Employment Type: Ongoing / Non-ongoing, Full-time
Salary Range: $88,192 - $96,982 pa plus 15.4% superannuation
Reporting to: Assistant Director, Policy and Research
Location: TEQSA’s office is located in Melbourne CBD; Candidate applications from other states will be considered
Agency Employment Act: Public Service Act 1999
- Applications close at 11:59pm on 26 September 2022
- Applications must include the following cover sheet: TEQSA job application cover sheet [DOCX 1MB]
The Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA) is Australia’s independent national quality assurance and regulatory agency for higher education. TEQSA’s purpose is to deliver quality assurance that protects the interests of students and the reputation and standing of Australian higher education.
As an independent quality assurance and regulatory agency, TEQSA adopts a risk-based approach that is guided by principles of necessity, risk, and proportionality, and which supports quality, diversity, innovation, and excellence in tertiary education.
TEQSA has three strategic objectives in delivering its purpose:
- promote and support good practice and effective self-assurance across the sector
- identify, analyse, and respond to risks to the sector
- ensure compliance with applicable legislation through effective and efficient regulation.
- are you passionate about contributing to the excellence of Australian higher education?
- are you a strategic thinker with a drive for innovation and collaboration?
- do you want to work in a challenging, dynamic, and rewarding environment that is mission-focused?
Our organisational culture reflects our Culture Plan 2021 and the core values and behaviours that guide how we approach our work and interact with each other.
The core values by which we operate include:
- Trust – We have confidence in each other to do our best. We encourage open and honest conversations that focus on the issue, not the person. We promote a supportive and safe workplace environment.
- Respect – We approach every situation with kindness, compassion, and an open mindset. We value people, the range of views and experience they bring, and the work they undertake.
- Accountability – We hold ourselves and each other accountable for our actions, how we work together, and the quality of what we deliver. We gather feedback, reflect, and act on opportunities for improvement.
- Collaboration – We draw on our collective strength by encouraging each other to contribute to the achievement of shared objectives. We provide context and information to help others succeed.
At TEQSA, we are building a working environment that aligns with our cultural values and cultivates a rewarding, stimulating, and engaging workplace. If our organisational culture resonates with you, we want to hear from you.
How we value our employees
TEQSA is committed to investing in its people. So, what’s on offer for you?
- a full-time and secure role in a for-purpose organisation that protects the interests of students and the reputation and standing of Australian higher education
- flexible working arrangements, including working from home to balance work and personal life
- conveniently located spacious office close to public transport in the heart of Melbourne CBD. Soon to relocate to a brand-new, interior-designed office with state-of-the-art technology and facilities designed for flexibility, collaboration, and wellbeing
- generous leave entitlements, including study leave to support your professional development, personal leave, and paid time off over Christmas
- competitive superannuation at 15.4 per cent and remuneration
- professional development that is supported and encouraged so your career continues to grow as you enhance your technical and leadership skills and capabilities and build a career at TEQSA
- free Employee Assistance Program for you and your immediate family members. Our external partner is a leading provider of wellbeing and mental health support services
- workplace diversity and inclusion. TEQSA welcomes people with diverse skills, experiences, perspectives, and backgrounds. TEQSA encourages applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, people with disabilities, people that identify as LGBTQIA+, and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
About the position
The position sits in the Information and Data Management team, which leads the development and operation of TEQSA’s information and data management portfolio and business intelligence activities. The team is critical to supporting TEQSA's ability to take a strategic and a risk-based approach to its regulatory function and provides timely access to and facilitates the appropriate use of trusted data and information to drive informed decisions and risk assessments and enable innovation.
The Senior Data Analyst is responsible for proactively supporting the Assistant Director, Information and Data Management with creating analytic intelligence products, streamlining data management and collection, and preparing dashboards to inform value-driven, business decisions. They will work with large and complex data sets to analyse issues, develop logical conclusions, and prepare analytical reports, for a range of purposes, including the identification and management of risks in the higher education sector.
The Senior Data Analyst will exercise initiative and judgment when setting priorities and have a strong attention to detail. They will perform activities related to the data lifecycle (data collection, reporting, cleaning, validation, analysis and visualisation), provide recommendations and respond to enquiries. They will work collaboratively with others to resolve complex problems and liaise with a range of internal and external stakeholders in a representational role.
As Senior Data Analyst, under limited direction, you will be accountable for:
- Collecting, managing and analysing data from a wide range of sources, to draw valuable insights and presenting those insights coherently to inform business decision-making.
- Building and sustaining effective stakeholder relationships to understand and anticipate their business requirements and needs for analysis and reporting, and to resolve current or emerging issues.
- Developing and maintaining accurate reports, data visualisation dashboards and software packages to support internal stakeholders in delivering their business objectives.
- Identifying and investigating data issues, and cleansing and preparing data to support ongoing business process improvement and sound decision-making.
- Assisting with the development and maintenance of documentation including policy and processes, data dictionaries and schemas relating to TEQSA’s provider data collection.
- Working cooperatively and effectively in a team environment to deliver outcomes, managing workflows and risks, providing training and support to others, and sharing knowledge.
- Actively contributing to activities that influence and improve the organisation’s data literacy skills.
Our ideal candidate
TEQSA is looking for high-performing team members who are passionate about contributing to the excellence of Australian higher education. Our ideal candidate will:
- Have strong technical skills in data collection, consolidation, and analytics as well as be able to interpret data to provide meaningful information and insights to help business make informed decisions.
- Have an in-depth knowledge of data modelling and/or modern data warehousing.
- Be able to manipulate and analyse complex datasets using a variety of tools to research and solve organisational issues and identify trends to support organisational outcomes.
- Have an in-depth knowledge of SQL Server, T-SQL, Power BI or other related business intelligence, data extracting, reporting or manipulation software and tools.
- Be self-motivated, have excellent verbal and written communication skills, and can effectively explain technical concepts and create solutions that support business requirements.
- Demonstrate the ability to conduct timely analysis, draw data insights and present those insights for evidence-based recommendations and informed decisions.
- Can develop and maintain influential stakeholder relationships, both internally and externally, to manage ad-hoc data requests, and maximise acceptance and cooperation.
Qualifications and experience
The following will be highly valued:
- A relevant qualification(s) or significant relevant experience.
- Demonstrated experience in building data solution in Microsoft Azure stack, including Azure Data Factory, Azure SQL Database, Azure Synapse Analytics.
- Demonstrated experience in data engineering.
- Excellent quantitative analysis skills including the ability to identify trends.
- An understanding of the domestic and global higher education sector or the ability to quickly acquire that understanding.
How to apply
Your application should include the following items:
- TEQSA job application cover sheet, available on TEQSA's careers website.
- Current resume (maximum two pages)
- Two-page pitch (maximum 1000 words) detailing:
- How your skills and experience address the ‘our ideal candidate’ section (i.e., what makes you the best candidate for the position).
- The value you can add to TEQSA’s Information and Data Management Team.
Once prepared, please submit your completed application to recruitment [at] teqsa.gov.au.
- Your pitch should be succinct and showcase your skills, knowledge, experience, and qualifications. We want to understand how your personal attributes can add value to a role within TEQSA
- For assistance with preparing your response, you may wish to refer to Australian Public Service Work Level Standards and the Integrated Leadership System relevant to the EL1 classification level.
The successful applicant must:
- be an Australian citizen
- complete a National Police Check satisfactorily
- be able to obtain and maintain an Australian Government Security Vetting Agency (AGSVA) clearance to Baseline status, supported by TEQSA.
Failure to satisfy any of the above conditions may result in the withdrawal of an offer of employment or termination of employment.
Other relevant information
- This process is being used to fill an ongoing vacancy.
- A merit pool of suitable applicants will be created from this process and may be used to fill similar ongoing and non-ongoing vacancies within TEQSA. It is active for 18 months from the date of this advertisement.
- Non-ongoing vacancies may be filled for up to 18 months with the possibility of a further extension (up to a total period of 3 years) or become ongoing.