Engagement with professional bodies
TEQSA and professional bodies with links to the higher education sector have a mutual interest in maintaining and improving quality in the provision of higher education in Australia.
TEQSA has agreed that the following principles should guide its engagement with professional bodies:
- the development of a complementary approach to course accreditation processes and requirements
- the use of professional bodies as a source of expert advice
- the sharing of information with professional bodies to inform TEQSA’s regulatory activity and to protect the interests of students and the higher education sector;
- encouraging alignment of professional outcomes with learning outcome requirements of the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF); and
- fostering communication between TEQSA and professional bodies regarding each other’s respective roles.
TEQSA is currently working with a sample of bodies responsible for regulating and/or accrediting TEQSA-accredited programs. Our primary aim will be to explore the possibility of complementary and streamlined accreditation processes.
TEQSA is building relationships with a broad range of bodies that have a statutory responsibility for regulating a profession and for accrediting related professional programs, for example, professional registration and accreditation bodies in medical and legal fields.
As a first step in this process, TEQSA has prepared a set of Information Guidelines that specify the Commonwealth, State or Territory authorities we may share higher education information with under Sections 189 and 194 of the TEQSA Act.
The Information Guidelines can be found on the Federal Register of Legislation. In addition, we are also in the process of developing a list of professional bodies with whom TEQSA can share higher education information under section 193 of the TEQSA Act.
Professional Quality Assurance Agency agreements
TEQSA has signed Memorandums of Understanding (MOUs) with the following organisations, to facilitate the sharing of information and reduce regulatory burden on higher education providers through joint and streamlined approaches to assessment.
Departments, Agencies and Peak Bodies
- Australian Charities and Not-for-Profits Commission - MoU with TEQSA (13 November 2013) [PDF 183kb, 7 pages]
- Overseas Students Ombudsman - MoU with TEQSA (17 January 2014) [PDF 740kb, 8 pages]
- English Australia - MoU with TEQSA (22 March 2016) [PDF 183kb, 6 pages]
- Australian Skills Quality Authority - MoU with TEQSA (7 July 2016) [PDF 69kb, 3 pages]
- Department of Education and Training - MoU with TEQSA (14 October 2016) [PDF 950kb, 15 pages]
- Australian Council for Private Education and Training (ACPET) - MoU with TEQSA (8 February 2017) [PDF 103kb, 7 pages]
- Australian Council of Professions (Professions Australia) - MoU with TEQSA (20 February 2017) [PDF 191kb, 6 pages]
- Council of Private Higher Education (COPHE) - MoU with TEQSA (23 February 2017) [PDF 120kb, 6 pages]
- Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority (ACECQA) - MoU with TEQSA (6 March 2017) [PDF 208kb, 2 pages]
- Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership (7 October 2015)
- Queensland College of Teachers - MoU with TEQSA (1 September 2016) [PDF 50kb, 2 pages]
- Teachers Registration Board of South Australia - MoU with TEQSA (21 November 2016) [PDF 100kb, 2 pages]
- Victorian Institute of Teaching - MoU with TEQSA (9 January 2017) [PDF 140kb, 2 pages]
- National ELT Accreditation Scheme Ltd (NEAS) - MoU with TEQSA (20 February 2017) [PDF 157kb, 6 pages]
- Australian Dental Council - MoU with TEQSA (21 November 2014) [PDF 165kb, 6 pages]
- Australian Medical Council - MoU with TEQSA (13 July 2016) [PDF 130kb, 6 pages]
- Speech Pathology Australia - MoU with TEQSA (5 December 2016) [PDF 60kb, 2 pages]
- Australasian Osteopathic Accreditation Council - MoU with TEQSA (13 February 2017) [PDF 108kb, 2 pages]
- Australian Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council - MoU with TEQSA (21 February 2017) [PDF 103kb, 2 pages]
- Australian Pharmacy Council - MoU with TEQSA (7 April 2017) [PDF 104kb, 3 pages]
- CPA Australia - MoU with TEQSA (9 April 2015) [PDF 156kb, 7 pages]
- Engineers Australia - MoU with TEQSA (30 June 2016) [PDF 212kb, 7 pages]
- The International Centre of Excellence in Tourism and Hospitality Education - MoU with TEQSA (7 September 2016) [PDF 120kb, 2 pages]
- Australian Institute of Project Management (AIPM) - MoU with TEQSA (7 October 2016) [PDF 60kb, 2 pages]
- Australasian Veterinary Board Council Inc - MoU with TEQSA (25 October 2016) [PDF 665kb, 8 pages]
- Australian Institute of Quantity Surveyors (AIQS) - MoU with TEQSA (28 October 2016) [PDF 93kb, 2 pages]
- About TEQSA
- Regulatory Approach
- For Providers
- For Students
- National Register
- News & Publications