Registration as a higher education provider
A regulated entity (a constitutional corporation or a corporation established by or under a law of the Commonwealth or Territory, or a person who conducts activities in a Territory) may apply to TEQSA for approval to be registered as a higher education provider.
An application for registration as a higher education provider must be accompanied by an application for accreditation of at least one course of study.
Registration application process
Application documents for initial registration as a higher education provider are below. An application for accreditation of at least one course must accompany an application for registration. Applications must be on the approved form, include all information requested by TEQSA, and must be accompanied by the applicable fee and Payment/Invoice Form. Fees information is available on the TEQSA fees page.
If TEQSA grants the application, TEQSA will determine a period for which the applicant is registered. Under the TEQSA Act this period cannot exceed seven years.
Application guides and the Higher Education Standards Framework
TEQSA evaluates applications and registers higher education providers against the Higher Education Standards Framework.
The new Higher Education Standards Framework (Threshold Standards) 2015 (HES Framework) will apply from 1 January 2017. All higher education providers must be compliant from 1 January 2017.
From a regulatory perspective, all applications made:
•before 1 January 2017 will be assessed against the current HES Framework 2011.
•on or after 1 January 2017 will be assessed against the new HES Framework 2015.
Applications to be submitted on or after 1 January 2017 must use the application guide located on the 'Applying under the new standards' page. You can find supporting material relating to the new HES Framework 2015 as part of the HESF 2015 section of this website.
Once you have read the guidance materials and at least six months before you are ready to submit your application, please contact new.registration.enquiries@TEQSA.gov.au to notify TEQSA of your intention to apply and to discuss the application process.
PLEASE NOTE that TEQSA does not require applications to be submitted in hard copy.
The remaining points are relevant for applications submitted prior to 1 January 2017
Sample registration and course accreditation forms for providers seeking initial registration
- Application for registration as a higher education provider – SAMPLE [DOCX 333 KB | PDF 539 KB, 56 pages]
- Application for registration as a higher education provider – SAMPLE data tables [PDF 118 KB, 6 pages]
- Guide to application for registration as a higher education provider [PDF 424 KB, 51 pages]
- Application for accreditation of a higher education course of study (AQF qualification) – SAMPLE [DOCX 309 KB | PDF 472 KB, 43 pages]
- Guide to application for accreditation of a higher education course of study (AQF qualification) [PDF 415 KB, 55 pages]
Fit and proper person requirements declarations
- TEQSA Fit and proper person requirements declaration [DOCX 101kb, 2 pages]
- ESOS Fit and proper person requirements declaration [DOCX 98kb, 2 pages]
Further information on initial registration
TEQSA held an initial registration workshop on 16 September 2015. The main presentation from the workshop is available below.
- About TEQSA
- Regulatory Approach
- For Providers
- Applying under the new standards
- Provider portal
- Provider obligations
- Registration and renewal
- Course accreditation and renewal
- Quality Assessments
- TEQSA fees
- Provider resources
- Admissions Transparency
- For Students
- National Register
- News & Publications